Educational Leadership Studies
Superintendent Certification Program
Download Superintendent flyer here.
Click here to apply to the Superintendent Certification program at UK. NOTE: When you apply you will be asked to select a "Plan of Study." Please view this important tip on how to select the correct program when you reach that step. Image
The UK Superintendent Certification Program is unique in how it integrates knowledge and practice. Course content is aligned with Superintendents’ annual work cycle to enrich work-embedded learning guided by experienced district mentors. High-quality online learning modules offer students flexibility while preparing them to participate in problem-solving sessions with nationally prominent faculty and experienced superintendents. The state-wide, 12 credit-hour, Executive Leadership Program begins Spring 2014 and ends August 2014. Sessions are convened on selected Saturdays. This research-based, standards-aligned (ISLLC), and performance-assessed program is designed to prepare Kentucky’s next generation, 21st century superintendents to lead innovative and instructionally effective districts.
- Spring -EDL 676: The School Superintendency (3)
- Spring-EDL 679: School Superintendent Practicum I (1)
- Summer I- EDL 677: School System Administration (3)
- Summer I- EDL 680: The Superintendent Practicum II (1)
- Summer II- EDL 678: Strategic Management in Education (3)
- Summer II- EDL 681: The Superintendent Practicum III (1)
The next Superintendent Certification-Only Cohort will begin January 2014 and conclude in August 2014.
Application Deadline: Application Deadline: December 9, 2013:
Admission Requirements: Individuals must have a Kentucky classroom teaching certificate, three years of full-time teaching, completed a master’s Degree or Level I & II preparation with a grade point average of 3.0 Average on a 4.0 scale for any one of the following positions: school principal, supervisor of instruction, guidance counselor, director of pupil personnel, director of special education, school business administrator, local district coordinator of vocational education, or a coordinator, administrator, or supervisor of district-wide services and at least two years full-time experience in one or more of these positions. Other administrative experience may be substituted for this requirement with the approval of the Education Professional Standards Board. In addition, individuals will be required to submit three letters of recommendation and official transcripts from all previous institutions of higher education. The Department of Educational Leadership Studies Admissions Committee will review applications and approve admissions (16 KAR 3:010).
Click here to apply.
Admission to the Superintendent Certification Program is competitive. Individuals must apply to the Graduate School for admission (GRE Scores are not required for certification-only programs), have completed a principal certification program and hold a valid principal license well as have completed two years of successful experience as a principal, school counselor, school or district-level administrator. Superintendent courses may be used as part of the student’s specialized area of study for the Educational Leadership (EdD) and Interdisciplinary PhD Degrees.
A complete application file to Superintendent Certification-Only Program includes the following documents that you must submit. Your application file will not be reviewed until all information has been received.
UK Application for Admission
1. Professional Resume (limited to 2 pages) that provides your name and contact information as well as postsecondary education (all degrees, years awarded, institution names, emphasis area), work experiences, education certifications and professional memberships.
2. Transcripts from all previous institutions of higher education.
3. Apply to the Graduate School for “Non-Degree Certification”
Full faculty profiles may be seen here.
Dr. Lars Björk
For More Information
Any questions about the admissions process may be directed to:
- Matthew Reed, EDL Administrative Assistant, 859-257-8921 or
- John Nash, PhD, Director of Graduate Studies, 859-257-7845