Educational Leadership Studies
Superintendent Certification Program
Download Superintendent flyer here.
Apply to the Superintendent Certification program here.
The UK Superintendent Certification Program is unique! It uses superintendents’ annual work cycle to align professional knowledge with practice and work-embedded learning is guided by experienced superintendent mentors. Required courses (12 credit hours) for the 2013 superintendent Cohort will be delivered over 3 consecutive semesters:
- Summer I EDL 676: The School Superintendency (3)
- Summer I EDL 679: School Superintendent Practicum I (1)
- Summer II EDL 677: School System Administration (3)
- Summer II EDL 680: The Superintendent Practicum II (1)
- Fall EDL 678: Strategic Management in Education (3)
- Fall EDL 681: The Superintendent Practicum III (1)
The next Superintendent Certification Only Cohort will begin January 2014 and conclude in December 2014.
High quality on line learning modules offer students flexibility while preparing them to participate in problem-solving sessions with nationally prominent faculty, educational leaders and experienced superintendents. Sessions are convened on selective Saturdays, during Kentucky association professional meetings, conferences and educational summits. The program is research-based, standards-aligned and performance assessed and is designed to prepare 21st century superintendents to lead innovative and instructionally-effective school districts.
Admission to the Superintendent Certification Program is competitive. Individuals must apply to the Graduate School for admission (GRE Scores are not required for certification-only programs), have completed a principal certification program and hold a valid principal license well as have completed two years of successful experience as a principal, school counselor, school or district-level administrator. Superintendent courses may be used as part of the student’s specialized area of study for the Educational Leadership (EdD) and Interdisciplinary PhD Degrees.
A complete application file to Superintendent Certification-Only Program includes the following documents that you must submit. Your application file will not be reviewed until all information has been received.
UK Application for Admission
1. Professional Resume (limited to 2 pages) that provides your name and contact information as well as postsecondary education (all degrees, years awarded, institution names, emphasis area), work experiences, education certifications and professional memberships.
2. Transcripts form all previous institutions of higher education.
3. A Professional Essay (3-5 double-spaced pages, word-processed in either Times New Roman 12-point or Ariel 10-point, page numbers and your name in upper right corner). If you cite literature/resources to support your comments, adhere to the academic writing guidelines provided in 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.
- Part I: Provide background about your experiences as an educational leader and share how these experiences have prompted you to enroll in a graduate program in educational leadership studies. Share your career aspirations and explain how completing an EDL program will assist you in achieving your professional goals as a school district leader.
- Part II: Articulate your beliefs, perceptions, and reflections about each of the following four themes related to effective educational leadership: (a) a vision of success, (b) a focus on student learning and teaching, (c) an engagement of all stakeholders, and (d) a demonstration of ethical practice.
4. Application Deadline: May 1, 2013
Any questions about the admissions process may be directed to:
- Matthew Reed, EDL Administrative Assistant, 859-257-8921 or
- John Nash, PhD, Director of Graduate Studies, 859-257-7845.